In the sixth episode of our fourth season we had the pleasure of speaking with Martin Reyes MW of Peter Paul Wines! In our conversation we talked about:
- The journey to becoming an MW (Master of Wine)
- Being the First!
- Purchasing Behavior in the Retail Space
- Diversity and Inclusion
- So much more!
A first-generation American, Martin is the first Master of Wine of Mexican descent and one of only 47 MWs in the country. With a 16-year career as a respected buyer, importer, and educator, he has held influential roles in many sectors of the industry. Martin’s wine story began with an over-indulgent Parisian dinner as a Stanford undergrad and, by 2003, he was stocking shelves at K&L. In 2011, Martin became the principal buyer for an importer operating prominent wine club programs including The New York Times and Williams-Sonoma. His importing team was profiled in The Tasting Panel Magazine, and he was named one of Wine Enthusiast’s Top Forty under Forty Tastemakers in 2015.
Today, Martin continues to work across the full supply chain, from winery management and production (Peter Paul Wines), to consulting for a range of businesses including luxury Napa Valley brands (Vice Versa Wines, Spottswoode Estate), importers (Copa Fine Imports) and software companies (Vivino.com). More recently, he launched Reyes Selections, a small East Coast-based portfolio of imported wines culled from his past travels. Martin also holds a Diploma in Wine & Spirits and is a Certified Wine Educator. In his free time, he attempts to become fluent in a fifth language and raises his daughter trilingually, together with his wife in Vallejo, CA.
The Last Five Sips:
- If money were no object, what bottle of wine would you splurge on and why? 1965 Krohn Port
- Who would you love to share a bottle with, living or deceased? Thomas Jefferson
- What are some of the things you do or read to keep up to speed on what is happening in the wine industry? TASTE! Master Classes, Miningers, Trade Tastings
- What advice would you give you your 22 year old self? Start with Wine now! Buy all of the Screaming Eagle you can!
- When you finish your day and sit down with your favorite glass of wine, what is on your music playlist? Spotify, Discovery Weekly playlist
How you can connect with Martin online and on Social Media: